The IPL staff can help you with selecting the perfect read, research, answers to urgent or not-so-urgent questions, locating books and materials, using print and online resources, accessing our downloadable digital collection (including eBooks), and more.
All events are listed on the monthly calendar. Sign up for our monthly newsletter below.
Check Out the Symphony
Thanks to the generosity of the Alabama Symphony Orchestra, Irondale residents can receive free symphony tickets at the library!
Find a Good Book
The IPL staff can help you find that next great read, or you can sign up for customized recommendations through Select Reads! Select Reads offers monthly book newsletters, custom alerts for favorite subjects or authors, new book samples, and more!
*Pick up your free monthly copy of Book Page in the library.
You are invited to book club! The Irondale Public Library hosts an adult book club discussion on the second Monday of the month at 2pm, January-October. Book Club members vote on book selections. 2024 Book Selections
Service to the Blind and Disabled
- The Library has a collection of large print books and audiobooks for the visually impaired.
- Books-By-Mail is a free service provided by the Birmingham Public Library and the Jefferson County Library Cooperative. It is a unique service to residents of Jefferson County, AL, who are unable to go to the public library in person. Most books-by-mail users are elderly or housebound, but patrons of any age who are unable to travel to a library may use this service. No library card is needed. Materials are checked out for 4 weeks. There is a limit of 4 items. Renewals can be made over the phone. No overdue fines are charged. To request this service call 205-925-6178
- Patrons unable to use standard print materials due to a visual or physical disability qualify for the services offered by the Alabama Regional Library for the Blind and Physically Handicapped, located in the Alabama Public Library Service (APLS) facility in Montgomery. The service provides special format reading materials, playback equipment and other library resources to qualifying users. Qualifying disabilities include blindness, low vision, arthritis, paralysis, cerebral palsy, multiple sclerosis, and chronic fatigue syndrome. Reading disabilities resulting from an organic dysfunction such as dyslexia also qualify. Free mailing privileges are provided by the United States Post Office. There is no charge for any part of this service.
Interested persons should call APLS at 1-334-213-3900 or 1-800-723-8459 or by visiting the APLS website.
Job and Career Resources
- Homework Alabama– Don’t let the name fool you. Receive one-to-one, real-time assistance with your job search. Online tutors are available to help navigate job sites, complete applications, write/review resumes and cover letters and even practice for an interview. You can take a career assessment, search job openings and download resume samples and templates on the 24/7 SkillsCenter Resource Library.
- Alabama Works– Search and apply for jobs in Alabama.
- JobsQuest.org– Search and apply for jobs within the civil service system (Merit system) of Jefferson County. The Personnel Board of Jefferson County (PBJC) is the administrative agency responsible for administering the civil service system (Merit System) for eighteen municipalities and five county-wide agencies within Jefferson County, Alabama
- AL.com– Find job listings for Birmingham metro area and other cities in the state.