The Jefferson County Public Library Association recently honored eight Library Champions during its annual holiday luncheon at Iron City in Birmingham, Alabama including three residents of Irondale. Ann Steves and Sue Sweatt were nominated by Irondale Public Library for their outstanding service with the Friends of Irondale Library. Dolores Hydock was nominated by the Public Libraries in Jefferson County (PLJC) for her many years of support to local libraries and literacy. The purpose of the luncheon was to recognize the outstanding achievements of volunteers and community partners. The Library Champion Award is presented annually by the Jefferson County Public Library Association. The award recognizes an individual or organization that has made a significant contribution(s) to libraries and/or librarianship in Jefferson County, Alabama.
Ann Steves & Sue Sweatt: Since 2011, as members of the Friends of Irondale Public Library Executive Committee, Ann & Sue have been instrumental in re-organizing a Friends group for Irondale. They have enlisted members through mailing campaigns and represented the library at community events. The Friends have raised funds to provide bicycles and other prizes for 3 consecutive years of Summer Reading and sponsored library programs. The Friends now have 55 members and 6 commercial members. Many of the Friends have volunteered over the past 3 years to work in the Friends Booth at the annual Whistle Stop Festival and at library programs. Without Ann and Sue, the Irondale Public Library would not have a Friends group.
Dolores Hydock: Dolores Hydock is a writer, actress, and storyteller. This nomination is for her excellent presentations at libraries throughout our county over the past two decades. Her original programs bring in large audiences whenever and wherever presented. In many cases the programs are standing room only. Dolores is not only a great promoter of libraries, but promotes all types of literacy. Whatever the topic, Dolores’ programs bring her subjects to life and frequently include Alabama history. Library programming countywide has been enhanced as a result of Dolores’ programs.
On December 2nd, two members of the Friends Executive committee, Ann Steves and Sue Sweatt, will be given the Library Champion Award from the Jefferson County Public Library Association. Through their leadership, the Friends have accomplished so much in just three years!
Since 2011, the Friends of IPL Executive Committee have
• Restarted a formerly defunct Friends Group
• Enlisted members through mailing campaigns and community events
• Represented the library at community events
• Provided bicycles and other prizes for 3 consecutive years of Summer Reading
• Hosted adult programs: Friends Bunko Night, Red Bike Coffee Tasting, 2012 Book Sale, 2013 and 2014 Yard Sale at the Whistlestop Festival
• Purchased a Wii gaming console and games for Library programming
The Friends now have 55 members and 6 commercial members. At the most recent Friend event, the Whistlestop Festival Friends Yard Sale, there were 8 volunteers.
Irondale Library patrons have unlimited access to complete digital magazines from Zinio!
Each magazine can easily be viewed on most Internet-enabled devices inside or outside of the library. Zinio’s unique technology digitally recreates a magazine page for page, including full color pictures, intuitive navigation, key word article search and interactive elements such as audio and video.
A few of the popular titles available: Better Homes& Gardens, Us Weekly, National Geographic, Rolling Stone, Discover, Cosmopolitan and many more!
To access Irondale Library’s digital magazine collection click here
Please note: You will need to create a new account with our library collection and Zinio.
Legal considerations for growing your business.
Tuesday, November 18- 11:30 – 1pm
Presented by a local attorney. Get your questions answered about the legal aspects of owning a business. Find out about local legal resources.
Bring your lunch, drinks will be provided.
Co-sponsored by the Greater Irondale Chamber of Commerce.
Check out these and more from our holiday displays.
Handcrafted Christmas by Susan Waggoner – 144 color pages of step-by-step holiday crafts and recipes.
Kids Make Christmas by Pia Deges – 40 colorful and unique projects to make with the kids.
Fun Christmas Crafts to Make and Bake by Annie Rigg and Catherine Woram - Just as the title says.. Fun, Christmas, crafts.
My True Love Gave to Me by Various Young Adult Authors – 12 best selling YA authors telling winter holiday stories.
Jane and the Twelve Days of Christmas by Stephanie Barron – The 12th installment of this popular Jane Austen mystery series.
The 13th Gift by Joanne Huist Smith – The power of random acts of kindness will warm the heart.
An Island Christmas by Nancy Thayer – Sweet Nantucket romance. Will there be a Christmas wedding?
Professional tutors are available online, FREE, for Alabama residents.
This service is made possible by the Alabama Public Library Service.
One Service- Three areas of help:
- Student Center
- Students and adult learners can receive specialized one-to-one tutoring help in the areas of math, science, English, social studies and writing. This service is also available in Spanish. Professional tutors are available online from 3pm – 10pm Sunday through Thursday.
- Career Center by Tutor.com
- Receive one-to-one, real-time assistance with your job search. Online tutors are available to help navigate online job sites, complete applications, write/review resumes and cover letters and even practice for an interview. Career tutors are available online 24/7.
- Adult Education Center by Tutor.com
- Going back to school? Preparing for your GED? Taking the Citizenship Test? Get the help you need, real-time tutoring in math, science, English, social studies, writing, GED preparation and citizenship preparation. See how it works before you connect. http://www.youtube.com/tutordotcom#p/u/0/Nb4EKtQg-XQ. Bi-Lingual Spanish speaking tutors are available 1:00 p.m. to 12:00 a.m., Central Time.
The City of Irondale has a new website!
Stay connected with city news
and information at cityofirondaleal.gov.
We would like to say a BIG THANK YOU to the Friends of Irondale Public Library.
Their efforts have benefited the library and the community in so many ways. Here’s a few:
- The Friends have purchased bicycles for 3 years for the Summer Reading Grand Prize
- They have also purchased prizes for the Pre-school Summer Readers
- We have a Wii gaming system now for programs Thanks to the Friends of IPL
- The Friends have hosted several programs (Dolores Hydock, Coffee Tasting, Bunko Night)
We have a New Online Calendar! Click the “Calendar” link at the top of the web page to see all of the fun upcoming events at IPL!