Who are the Friends?
- People who care about and love the Irondale Public Library.
- The Friends of the Irondale Public Library is a 501(c)3 non-profit, volunteer organization dedicated to supporting the library and its programs.
- The Friends extend the library’s capacity through dollar gifts and program support.
- Friends of the Library organizations are independently connected to local public libraries across the United States. Each library may have their own Friends organization. Having local groups allows for customization of support.
What do the Friends do?
- Advocate for library support
- The Friends champion the library to encourage community use and government support.
- Friends find creative ways to fundraise for needs of the library to be met.
- Their purpose is to raise funds for programs, projects, and items not budgeted for the library by the City of Irondale.
- Volunteer ideas and time for library programs
- The Friends donate for Library requests such as the purchase of book bags, special books, and prizes and events with Summer Reading Program.
- Friends give their time and attend events to support Library Staff with welcoming patrons or assisting with hands-on needs like handing out snacks or during craft activities.
- Some recent successful fundraisers have been gift basket raffles and t-shirt sales.
- Represent the library as part of community outreach
- The Friends of the Irondale Public Library host tables/booths at community festivals such as Whistle Stop Festival or Christmas at the Caboose, providing fun for the community and raising awareness of library resources.
Where and when do the Friends meet?
- The Friends meet throughout the year in the Library meeting room the 1st Thursday of the Month
- Some months are excluded. Please check the library calendar for specific dates.
Why join the Friends?
- Meet other library and book lovers!
- Be a part of enhancing the library to serve our community!
- Have fun, feel rewarded, and make a difference!
- If you enjoy the services of the library, consider joining the friends as a way to give back and participate!
- All donations made to the Friends of the Irondale Public Library are non-profit and tax deductible.
How to join the Friends
- Fill out and return your membership form
- Pay for your chosen membership level of support
- Cash and checks (made payable to Friends of Irondale Public Library) may be mailed or handed in at the Irondale Public Library. Or,
- Pay your membership online by donating PayPal (below). Or,
- Catch the Friends when they are at a community event and join in person.
|A generous donation made by Mayor James D. Stewart Jr. to the Friends of the Irondale Public Library. July 2021|
|Christmas at the Caboose. December 2019|
|National Night Out. October 2019|
|Change in leadership by handing over the binder and a gift of flowers. All done with joy and laughter.September 2019|